Monday, February 28, 2011

Interview With Writer/Director PATRICK PIERRE

Filmmaker Name: Patrick Pierre
Upcoming Film: Visions of Yvette
Film Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Visions-of-Yvette/130476360330657 
Contact Information: pierrefilmsllc@gmail.com



Today, Anwar's Reflections sat down with writer and director Patrick Pierre at the Hummingbird Restaurant in Trenton, New Jersey. He has a new film coming out in June called Visions Of Yvette. In the interview, Pierre discusses his passion for film making. His new film, Visions of Yvette, chronicles the life of a young woman who is ambitious and career minded.  The film takes you step by step into the series of unfortunate circumstances that can challenge anyone into making poor decisions. The premier is scheduled for sometime in June, Anwar's Reflections will be sure to keep up to date on the specifics as the premier approaches. Below you will find a written transcription of Anwar's Reflections exclusive interview with Film-maker Patrick Pierre:


AGS: Can you tell our audience what it is that you do?

Well, basically I'm a writer and a director. I write all of my screenplays and direct all my films.

AGS: What is your background? How long you been interested in film making?

This is actually my second feature film. I have done nine films overall. I've done seven short films. I've been writing since I was 12 years old. I have a background in acting. I went to Mercer County College. I didn't attend a traditional film school like others.I decided to do a lot of hands on stuff to get more knowledge and experience. I also did some interning, this was a great learning experience. Lastly, I definitely read a lot of books also to develop my knowledge and skills.

AGS: What motivated you to become a filmmaker?

I grew up in Haiti. I moved to the United States when I was 8 years old. so before that I would always check out these movies, then I remember one day I saw Return of the Jedi in theaters, once I saw that, I knew that was it. That's when I knew that's what I wanted to do in life. It was just the magic of the screen that appealed to me and inspired to make films.

AGS: Where did you get the name for your first feature film, City Is Mine?

Its funny you should ask, the original title of the movie was called East, North, West, and South. We wanted to name it this because we wanted to capture this clash between the different sections of the city. But we thought that title was too long and didn't really express what the movie was all about. However, we changed that to the City Is Mine because it included all the sections of the city.

AGS: In your own words, what makes you unique as a filmmaker?

I believe a lot of people focus on just the technical side of film-making and there's nothing wrong with that, you need the technical side, but I believe the writing must be tight in a film to go forward with the project. My emphasis is on the storyline. I think that makes me unique, my emphasis on the writing and the storyline.

AGS: Did you face any challenges in becoming a filmmaker? If so, how did you overcome those challenges?

There were a lot of challenges. Just a few offhand, first, there was the issue with money. I'm basically funding these projects myself, out of pocket. I have a full time job. And the scheduling was challenging as well because many people that were in the film had full time jobs, so working around that was a hurdle. Thankfully, I was able to overcome these hurdles by saving up, I saved up enough to buy the equipment and had enough to provide transportation and food for the cast and for the crew.

AGS: How do you promote or advertise what you do?

 Blogging, Facebook, word of mouth, Twitter, and YouTube.

AGS: Do you utilize internet marketing? If so, how effective do you find this type of marketing?

Yes we do think internet marketing is effective, the new film we have has a Facebok page (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Visions-of-Yvette/130476360330657). I'm also on Twitter posting updates about the film.

AGS: As an entrepreneur or filmmaker yourself, what advice, if any would you give an upcoming entrepreneur that wants to be successful as well?

Work your butt off and just don't get discouraged. Set a goal for yourself and achieve it. Don't let setbacks stop you. Plus, you need to have a passion for what you do, it can't be simply about money, you have to love what you do in order to be successful.
  
AGS: Can Anwar's Reflections get another interview in the near future?

Yes you can.

AGS is an acronym for the author and founder of Anwar's Reflections, Anwar G. Salandy

No comments:

Post a Comment